Three Colorado Thunderbirds Alumni Selected in 2014 NHL Draft
The Colorado Thunderbirds are pleased to announce that three former Colorado Thunderbirds players, Dominic Turgeon, Fredrik Olofsson, and Hayden Hawkey, were drafted on Saturday, June 28, in the 2014 NHL Draft bringing the total Thunderbirds players drafted in the NHL to 10 since 2008! Players from the Colorado Thunderbirds program continue to have excellent opportunities and to benefit from the foundational training received in the organization.
Dominic Turgeon, a center, was drafted by Detroit Redwings in the 3rd round, 63rd overall. He played last season for the WHL Portland Winterhawks. Dominic, son of Pierre & Elisabeth, comes from a great hockey family on and off the ice. He has lived in the Denver area since he was 9 and his father was playing for the Colorado Avalanche. Turgeon played for the Colorado Thunderbirds between 2008-2012 before suiting up for the Winterhawks the past two seasons.
Fredrik Olofsson, a forward, was selected by Chicago Blackhawks in the 4th Round, 98th overall. Olofsson resides in Broomfield, CO, and played for the Colorado Thunderbirds from 2009-2013. During the 2013-2014 season, Olofsson played for the USHL Chicago Steel and Green Bay Gamblers. He is presently undecided where he will play college hockey but has many options open to him. His brother, Gustav, was selected by the Minnesota Wild in the 2013 NHL Draft and signed with them this past spring.
Hayden Hawkey, a goalie, was chosen by the Montreal Canadiens in the 6th round, 177th overall. Hawkey is from Parker, CO, and played for USHL Omaha Lancers last season where he was named goaltender of the year by the USHL, All-USHL First Team, and became the first goaltender in the USHL Tier 1 era (2002-present) to finish the season with a sub-2.00 GAA. Hawkey protected the pipes for the Thunderbirds from 2009-2013. He is committed to play at Providence College following his USHL career.
Other former Colorado Thunderbirds that have been drafted in the NHL are:
- Seth Jones, a defenseman, drafted by Nashville Predators in the 1st Round, 4th overall in 2013
- Gustav Olofsson, a defenseman, drafted by Minnesota Wild in the 2nd Round, 46th overall in 2013
- Quentin Shore, a center, drafted in the 6th Round, 168th overall by Ottawa Senators in 2013
- Jaccob Slavin, a defenseman, drafted by the Carolina Hurricanes in the 4th round, 120th overall in 2012
- Nick Shore, a forward, drafted by the Los Angeles Kings in the 3rd round, 82nd overall in 2011
- Josiah Didier, a defenseman, drafted by the Montreal Canadians in the 4th round, 97th overall in 2011
- Sean Lorenz, a defenseman, drafted by the Minnesota Wild in the 4th round, 115th overall in 2008
The Colorado Thunderbirds are proud of Dominic, Fredrik, and Hayden. We congratulate these fine young men and their families, and wish them the best of luck.